, , , , ,

Early mornings

Saturday, November 15, 2014





The problem: For the past year or so, I have found it incredibly difficult to get up early. I don't know if I have to thank the cloudy Berlin weather for craving to stay under the covers the whole day or start to worry that I'm getting older and therefore lacking energy, but it is slowly becoming a problem. Winters, naturally, are particularly difficult. Especially here because all you see in those months is a gray ocean of clouds and mist. It's a lot more, a lot darker and a lot closer to the ground than any cloudy day I've experienced back home. 



It has gotten to the point where I need to set my alarm for at least 30 minutes prior to my actual 'need to be up and running' time just so I can start my day on time. I can't seem to make myself get up right away. Surely, very late nights and the average of 4 hours of sleep thanks to my university major do not help matters much. Whatever the reason, I am now conscientiously making a promise to myself that I will make an effort with early mornings, because honestly it is quite ridiculous to waste a good half hour of extra sleep because you can't drag yourself out of bed otherwise.


The morning face: not an attractive one.


Reminiscing: So my recent early mornings pattern made me think of how different my 'relationship' with getting up was. When I was still in high school I was perfectly capable of getting up at 6.30, being completely awake and paying attention during all my classes. Doing most of my homework after midnight and still managing to be on schedule the next morning. The alarm went off, I was out of bed. These days no one can even pay me to be on time for a 8.30 lecture and I only need 5 fucking minutes to walk from my apartment to campus.

When I was younger we used to live in a tiny apartment which resulted in the whole family sleeping (and practically living) in one room. By the whole family I mean me, my mom and my dad. 
Every Saturday and Sunday morning I was like a Swiss watch - waking up a quarter to 7 without fail every single week. My parents slept on a pull out guest bed that turned into a couch during the day, so on those weekend mornings I would sneak out from under the covers, tip-toe the few steps to their bed and jump on top of them, waking them up. I can't imagine them being too happy about my early flashes of energy. Mind you, that kept going from the age of 4 to about 7. Of course people wanting to sleep in on a Saturday was a foreign concept to me at the time. 

Why you might wonder? At 7 they used to show an hour or two of Disney cartoons and my little self had somehow programmed its inner clock to wake up in time. I remember sitting there with my dad, every weekend for those few years, and watching Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Chip'n'Dale, 101 Dalmatians, Timon & Pumbaa. I still remember that Toadie from The Gummi Bears was my dad's favourite character and we sued to laugh about it all the time. In the mean time my mom used to make us 'special' breakfast - usually pancakes or some other deliciousness that she didn't have time for during the week because she also went to work. All of that unfolding before 9. Then we'd have breakfast and get on with our day.




Now the only thing that can wake me up before 7 on a weekend (if I don't have a ton of stuff to do) is if my upstairs neighbours decide to take out their incredibly wild and loud child (that has developed a passion for banging against the railings of the stairs with a small metal tube; music for your years, I'm telling you) on a walk at a ridiculously early hour. 


How do you all get on with early mornings? And if any of you happen to have a full proof 'drag uni student out of bed' method, please, do share!


PS: Ironically I am writing this post after midnight on a Friday. I have to be up at 7.30 tomorrow because I have an extra 4 hour Italian class. It will be yet another 'can't get up' kind of early morning.


You Might Also Like

0 shared memories